Popular Posts

Monday, May 21, 2012

Love a Country: Latvia. A good NZ song and my list of hated songs.



This song is so lovely! I'm going to dedicate it to Latvia. It's the sort of song that uplifts the heart and makes me feel a little bit funny in the pants.

This fellow's name isn't actually Tom Lark. I can't remember what it really is, something like Marcus or Carl. He's a talented beast anyway. I'm going to the King's Arms to see him and a whole lot of other young un's playing on Friday night (did you like The Boxcar Rattle?! Look em up!).

I haven't yet roped anyone in to go with me, but I've never minded going to a gig alone. Bound to bump into someone, and if not, I could just say I'm someone's mum - 'yes, that's my son on the drums. He's good isn't he? He gets that from me. The timing.'

My new feature (unless I forget) is 'Love a Country You Haven't Been to Yet'. That's easy because I've been hardly anywhere and I love almost everyone. Okay, so Latvia sounds like quite a special place. For a start, eight of them read my blog. That's amazing. Or perhaps one of them reads my blog, but clicked on the page eight times in the last month. So send your good loving vibrations to those eight people, or that one enthusiastic person. Do it now. Love Latvia!

Explore LatviaA picture of Latvia copied from http://www.inyourpocket.com/latvia

Today after work I drove straight out to Parakai and went to the hotpools. Soaked for ages, long enough to be genuinely relaxed. That's hard work, getting that relaxed. I then went to the Helensville Hospice and scored a little old painting. Love it. I'll take a photo of it when I find my camera. Ha ha. The size and shape of it is very pleasing to me.

Also, forgive me, I snippily (that's a word now) assumed that the blue eyed Israeli had not called ... but of course I'd forgotten to charge my cell phone. When I remembered to charge it I found that he had indeed messaged me. I guess I better go back and edit out that bit I said in the last blog in case he ever reads it, and then next week I'll edit this bit. Movies next weekend then. I will  review whatever I see (you know I do love to express my opinion). I must also find out more about Israel so that I don't say anything too ignorant.


Andrew has removed my old hard drive from my dead computer and put all that stuff into my external hard drive. God, tired writing that sentence. Nearly need a nap after that. He's working in a bar these days, but we're gonna catch up tomorrow. I'm going to yoga tomorrow night ... but I hope I haven't got a darstardley cold. I'm sneezing like a ... slightly asthmatic teenage boy in a dusty room. 

My toilet is still blocked. My mum started to get angry on my behalf, but I don't feel that stressed about it anymore. I do think my rent should be reduced until it's sorted out, but I'm too scared to ask. Pathetic I know. I do need to eat dinner, but I had two scones and feel a bit lazy. 

Got some felafel mix, salad and aoili. I can't spell felafel or aoli and the spell check comes up with fellatio or aniline in order to point me in the right direction. Oh, changed it to aoli and now the suggestions include coli and eolian. Ooh, we should really do 'words I like' on a regular basis too. Eolian sounds amazing. Someone might call their baby Eolian. (People are having babies! I know!).

On Thursday I'm catching up with new friend DG. We're gonna see the Degas to Dali exhibition. God, I'm still sneezing. Perhaps I shouldn't have relaxed in the pools quite as long as I did. Oops, Toscie wants in. Hang on. 

There. She's in. 

Oh yeah, another on-going thought:

SONGS I TRULY HATE. What you must remember is that these are not the ones I'm embarrassed about but secretly enjoy singing when no one knows. I might tell you some of them one day, but I'd have to trust you. 


These are songs. I. Really.Hate. Hate is a strong word. 

 In No Particular Order:

 1) Twisting By the Pool by Dire Straits    Now, I admit to liking some Dire Straits songs (not everyone would), but this and the awful 'Industrial Disease' just upset me. I was really embarrassed by this song when it came out. My class mates liked it. I admitted I hated it and Vicky Gibb looked a bit disapointed in me.

2)Hands Up by Ottawan (who?) A truly horrible one hit wonder that came out when I was a child of around 9. I remember these adults (not my mum) looking at me disapprovingly when I asked very nicely if they could please turn off the radio when this came on. I was trapped in a car and this man was driving. His wife was in the passenger seat. I recall that they turned it up and sang along to it and said they LOVED IT. Traumatising. Who were these people? I can't recall. Friends of mum's boyfriend at the time? Not sure.

3) Life Begins At Forty by Dave and the Dynamos  Once again, a song from the 80's. I knew it was supposed to be funny but I couldn't laugh. I knew in the depths of my being that this was a real grandad of a song, but not a nice grandad, a pervy and condescending one. I knew I would be 40 one day and that I would never, ever, embrace this song. Turns out I was right. 

4) Almost Anything By Whitehouse. Oh shit, they're not called Whitehouse. I can't remember the name of them! It's on the tip of my brain. Icehouse!!! I think it's because Iva Davies just irritated the shit out of me. My cousin (the one I never see anymore cos she's soooo busy) LOVED Icehouse. She thought Iva Davies was It. I went and saw them with her in the 80's as she begged me to go. I think I quite liked one of the tracks (hey little girl) but overall it was an underwhelming experience. Most of the music doesn't really warrant hate I suppose. Just irritation.

 Right, times flying as usual. Better eat I suppose. Woman cannot live on Scone alone. I shall ad more to Hated Songs when I remember more of them. Obviously I hate The Macarena, but that's too easy.
I didn't know how to check for comments until today. A few people had commented on past blogs, so that made my day, thanks! Good toilet advice flowing in ;)
 Latvia, feel free to tell us about your amazing country (comment away my friends, comment away.) Till next time, keep loving and being nice to one another. x
with mum as a new being on Earth.

[ee-oh-lee-uhn]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
lowercase Geology . noting or pertaining to sand or rockmaterial carried or arranged by the wind.
2.












No comments: