Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Birthday Thanks! A Love Cake and More!!!

Look! Here comes Tieneke with my Love Cake!
Gratitude and all of that!
So today I'll just say thank you to those who sent birthday wishes and those who are reading my blog and getting something out of it (a laugh or otherwise!). And look, I got two cakes for my birthday dinner! Both chocolate of course.

41 is a million times better than being 14.





An absolutely amazing dinner at Soto in Ponsonby.

I've been incredibly spoiled, and I like it.

Lots of red!





Thursday 17th November
Dinner at Soto was really delicious; I had the seared tuna and a lovely gwertz to accompany it. When I arrived Sarah enveloped me in a hug, I was a bit stressed as I’d been stuck in traffic imagining horrible things.
Mum tripped and fell into the corner of the coffee table on Saturday and it looks like someone’s taken a baseball bat to her face. I hadn’t received a birthday call from her all day and started to wonder if she’d lain down for a nap and then had an aneurysm. It wasn’t till almost 7 that mum got in touch to let me know she wasn’t dead in the bed. My Uncles’ ex wife lives close to mum and so checked in for me prior to 7, so that was really kind of her. I think mum is pretty concussed, and on Tuesday when I visited she was still reeling from Wombat’s death. I felt unsettled being on the North Shore. (Picture: 'Unsettled at Murray's Bay').

Once I knew mum was ok I was able to relax and enjoy

dinner with some of my closest friends. I’ve known Sarah since 1993. We met when I lived at Mt Eden Rd, flatting with Cornelius and other assorted fringe dwellers. She was doing her Art degree, I was struggling through Communication Studies, and we drank to excess every weekend. Those were the days of cheap red wine, Poetry Live performances, art gallery visits, howling at the moon, kissing everyone, staggering along K Rd wearing lace up boots and a PVC skirt.
I’ve known Tam for a similar length of time, but in a variety of ways. She was the daughter of one of the older poets, and then years later we were flatmates. As flatmates we never quite clicked into a real friendship, but then about six or seven years ago I saw her at the Wine Cellar and it was magic. Tam is one of the most loyal friends you could ever hope to have.

Andrew of course, is the Sexy Young Ex, but he’s also one of my best friends. We met around six years ago at Hare Krishna Yoga. It was St Patricks’ day but I didn’t feel like drinking. I’d arranged a second date with a guy to meet at Yoga – but he was just meeting for the meal afterwards. He said that he had a very particular kind of Yoga practice. A bit anal. So Mr Anal and I were sitting at one of the low tables with our meals, and the door to the ‘Philosophy discussion room’ opened and people streamed out. Among them were two young men with long hair, bare from the waist up on what was a particularly hot evening. I thought it was a bit disrespectful to eat a meal with no shirt on, but when one of them sat down and was friendly and easy to talk to, I didn’t think too much more about it. My date, Mr Anal, didn’t seem to have much to say, whereas the shirtless young man did. He was also a good listener, and you know how women love that. I kept forgetting Mr Anal was there, I got so engrossed talking with Shirtless Andrew.

When Mr Anal went to the bathroom I took a chance. I said to Andrew “I really like talking with you. Shall we catch up and talk again?”.

Got his number and the rest is history. I didn’t really know if it was even sexual attraction at first, but the second time we met, it was as if a shimmering space filled with energy surrounded us. It was dense and intoxicating. Because of the age difference we decided to commit to learning and loving each other for as long as it felt right.

And then there is Tieneke. She is my newest friend and of course, also my flatmate. We have now known each other ... is it ... since June? We are both rather passionate people, always sharing what we’re learning.

That is what I really noticed about my friends last night; we’re all committed to self-development on a very deep level.

This weekend I’m going to see Lisa! She is my super oldest friend, and also God disguised as a woman walking the earth. Her favourite colour is purple, her eyes huge and green, her dog black and glossy, and her boyfriend drives trucks for a living. We have been friends since we were eight. She has been through a whole lot of shit in her life and yet seems to be filled with more peace than anyone I’ve ever met. She works with people who have suffered head injuries and loves her job. Being around Lisa just soothes me.

Now, would you like to know what I got for my birthday? Well yes, of course I got a massage from Andrew, but in addition to that he gave me a voucher for a healing session and red roses set into a bed of moss in a square glass vase. This non-boyfriend status really brings out the best in him. Sarah got me a funny string squid made by someone on Waiheke Island, and three ceramic green hearts you’d hang on a wall. I don’t normally do hearts, but Tienke pointed out how well they’d go with my Cocking Cactus and so I have warmed to them immensely. Tieneke made the Most Awesome Fucking Cake in the World and put a love spell in it! Yum, I could taste the love. It was chocolate with berry, cream cheese icing, red carnations, chunks of real chocolate ... heaven. Tam also made a choccy cake, and got me an amazing picnic basket full of goodies! The basket was crammed with wine, chocolate, crackers, strawberries, and had the utensils and everything you’d need for a super time with lashings of ginger beer! Hurrah!

And so my dears, another birthday, another year gone! As per usual, there is so much I haven’t said or will not say. What I can say is this: those who can see you will see you. Those who cannot will move on. Bless each life as it touches yours, laugh whenever you get the chance, dig deep and fucking LIVE.

Love Cx















No comments: