Popular Posts

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Gallery Visit and general Surrender.


Sunday

So. What have I been doing? Caught up with Feather on Thursday, invited her to the Black Asterix gallery party whatsit. That was good for looking at people as well as the art, though I'd already seen most of the art when I'd caught up with The Painter last Sunday.

Feather and I went to The Thai House for a feed before trotting around the gallery. Laughed at t a large framed white piece of paper with a bit of crinkled discolouring at the bottom of it. 'The Emperor's New Clothes' is alive and well, often appearing in the art world. Saw Callum in his hat (he's always in his hat) and disussed the 'pretty but slightly disturbing' works in the small rear room. No, I don't mean someone's arse, I literally mean the rear room of the gallery.

I quite liked the charcoal pictures of faces. Someone materialising from shadows, or perhaps being sucked into them.

We looked at people a bit more. I think I saw Frankie, she played in a band with a friend of mine years ago, Fatal Jelly Space. I'd been thinking of that a few weeks back when I'd caught up with Snow White, my old friend of Christian times. Snow White still had a WORKING mixed tape of music I'd created for her when we must have been around 21! It was like finding part of myself as an aural sedimentary layer.

There were songs on that tape (all recorded off vinyl of course) that I'd forgotten about, like "I'm Loose" and "Peggy suicide" by The Warners ... "Oh Peggy Suicide, filled her head with cyanide ..." and of course I'd also taped "Miseriah" and "Aliens" by Fatal Jelly Space. I realised I hadn't listened to 'Nimrod's Son' by The Pixies for years and years. My tastes are quite flaccid these days, I no longer wear steel cap shoes and feel the need to mosh, throwing my elbows agressively up and out in order to protect my face. I think I'm a little less angry than I used to be, though paradoxically I'm more direct. Direct, yet lacking fury.

Feather and I then walked down K Rd to St Kevin's Arcade and looked around at all the quirky little things people were selling (it was "First Thursday's") and couldn't resist buying something. I got this great necklace, it was a chunk of fool's gold with a birdy chain by BOBAE handmade jewellery. Love birds. Feather got a hand bag from this excellent wee shop at the rear of the arcade, CARA C, Vintage and Design Store. I really wanted one of the rings from that shop, but really, how many rings does a woman need? I end up wearing the same ring nearly every day anyway, the big silver one I almost punched Ex Friend Kathy in the face with years ago. Pity I didn't take out her eye really. Ha. Kidding. Come on, you know I'm a peace lover.

So yep, that was a good catch up with young Feather, and then caught up with Mr Andrew on Friday. His Dad wasn't well, had to be admitted to hospital, so we hung out, went and got Burgerfuel and watched a movie. What did we watch? It was quite good, whatever it was. Something with Kevin Spacey doing his awkward disconnected middle aged man thing as usual. The girl playing his daughter was a bit of a shit actress, but she had really dark eyebrows, and that was compelling in it's way.

Ok, first fine day in god know's how long. Must. Get. Out. Off to see mum, then to Snow White's for a bbq. Taking organic chicken, acid free tomatoes, juice and stop for some wine somewhere along the line.

Oh, and I'm going to completely forget about romance for awhile. Darlings, you know I've put in a good effort, but now, well, I surrender. I do not understand men. I love them, but fuck my ducklings, I cannot be reading minds anymore. I shall stick to books. I shall indulge in self loving each day, murmuring sweet somethings to myself. I shall paint mediocre paintings because I really enjoy the process. I shall buy things for $5 and resell them for $35 on Trademe. I will change my sheets more often. I will stand on my head just because I can. Oh, and I' will get a job. Soon. I hope.

lots of love. I'm off to The North Shore. Swim! Swim like a sea monkey!

xxx
















No comments: